Pages

Tuesday, June 7, 2016

USED TO

USED TO

We use used to to express PAST HABITS, things that we did in the past that we don't do now.

I used to play football when I was 5, but now I play basketball.
I didn't use to like lentils as a kid, but I love them now.
Did she use to ride a bike when she lived in Belgium?

In affirmative: USED TO + verb in infinitive
In negative: DID NOT / DIDN'T USE TO + infinitive
In questions: DID....(SUBJECT) USE TO + infinitive



Mrs Bell is a hundred years old. She's the oldest person in the village.  A radio reporter is interviewing her. Put in used to with the verb in brackets. 
Mrs Bell:    I've always lived in the village, but not always in this house.
Reporter:   Where ( )  did you use to live  (you / live)?
Mrs Bell:    When I was a girl, we lived at Apple Tree Farm. (1)………………………………………………  (we / like) it there. 
Reporter:   But life was hard, wasn't it?
Mrs Bell:    Oh, yes. Things (2) …………………………………….(be) different from the way they are now. In those days (3) ……………………………………….(we / not / have) electricity.
Reporter:   And (4) …………………………………………… (you / help) with the farm work?
Mrs Bell:    Yes, (5)  ………………………………………………(I / look after / the hens)



2Match the statements a-fwith the responses below (1-6).

a. Did you ever use to wear leg warmers?
b. I used to listen to punk music when I was in High School.
c. My brother used to love playing Super Mario World.
d. What sports did you use to play in High School?
e. When I was little, we lived in Peckham, in South London.
f. The first album I ever bought was ‘Dookie’ by Green Day.

1. No way! I used to live there too.
2. Well, I was never in any school teams but I used to like playing tennis.
3. That game was great! I used to play it too.
4. I used to love that group. They were the best!
5. Really? I preferred pop music.
6. Yes, I did. They were so cool when I was in High School.
 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment